- All I Want for Christmas Is…to Support Black Businessesby S. Tia Brown on December 1, 2023 at 5:34 pm
The skies are midnight blue before dinner time, the sidewalks are filled with fallen, crushed earth-toned leaves and Mariah Carey’s seasonal anthem is serenading us all at every turn. It’s happening folks: The holiday season is here. While this time of year creates an opportunity for many to reset, enjoy family gatherings and take long-awaited The post All I Want for Christmas Is…to Support Black Businesses appeared first on EBONY.
- Rosario Dawson on Her Endometriosis Self-Care: Steps, Sleep and Samsungby Delaina Dixon on November 30, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Rosario Dawson faced a tough medical journey earlier this year. “I had fibroids taken out and endometriosis,” she shares with EBONY. “I had four rounds of extractions and a lot of hormones.” She’s now following a simple formula to maintain her health. “I’m being really good about just getting my steps and my sleep and getting The post Rosario Dawson on Her Endometriosis Self-Care: Steps, Sleep and Samsung appeared first on EBONY.
- Bryan-Michael Cox Talks Making Classic Records and Working On Usher’s New Albumby Josh Baker on November 29, 2023 at 5:15 pm
Esteemed music industry veteran Bryan-Michael Cox recently took on the role of Senior Vice President (SVP) of A&R and Executive Producer at LVRN (Love Renaissance). With an impressive track record as a Grammy-winning producer and songwriter, he brings his talent and industry expertise to this esteemed position. In addition to his role at LVRN, he The post Bryan-Michael Cox Talks Making Classic Records and Working On Usher’s New Album appeared first on EBONY.
- Nick Cannon on Bringing Up the Next Generation of Talent, Building His Empire and Moreby DeAnna Taylor on November 29, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Personal matters aside, Nick Cannon is one of the hardest working businessmen in the entertainment industry today. The actor, producer, musician and television show host has long expressed his desire to build a media empire and with each calculated move he makes, he only pushes himself closer to that goal. Chipping away brick-by-brick, the California The post Nick Cannon on Bringing Up the Next Generation of Talent, Building His Empire and More appeared first on EBONY.
- The Art Basel 2023 Playlist You Didn’t Know You Neededby Josh Baker on November 28, 2023 at 7:38 pm
Art Basel is known as one of the most prestigious art events in the world that brings together a diverse range of artists, collectors, curators, and art enthusiasts from around the globe that takes place annually in the 305 Miami, Florida. This year EBONY is hosting an immersive event at Art Basel— EBONY FWD. Powered The post The Art Basel 2023 Playlist You Didn’t Know You Needed appeared first on EBONY.
- 4 Black Visual Art Documentaries You Must See Before You Attend Art Basel 2023by Julius Stukes on November 28, 2023 at 7:37 pm
EBONY will kick off Art Basel week with a two-day multi-media experience as we celebrate the exploration of Black voices through the arts. Check out some documentaries that focus on visual Black art, Black artists, and Black curators. Below are four visual art documentaries that will help you further appreciate Black art. Black Art: In The post 4 Black Visual Art Documentaries You Must See Before You Attend Art Basel 2023 appeared first on EBONY.
- How Writing A “Super Personal” Album Saved Leslie Odom Jr.by Delaina Dixon on November 27, 2023 at 1:30 pm
It’s the holiday season, and Leslie Odom Jr. has much to be thankful for. He’s back on Broadway starring in the title role of Purlie Victorious, written by the late great Ossie Davis. His new album, When a Crooner Dies, dropped in mid-November 2023. As he revealed to EBONY at the Kinderland “Let Your Kid The post How Writing A “Super Personal” Album Saved Leslie Odom Jr. appeared first on EBONY.
- EBONY Weekend Playlist: New Music From Busta Rhymes, Jon B., Kamaiyah, and More!by Josh Baker on November 24, 2023 at 3:00 pm
It’s the weekend already and we’re back with the EBONY Weekend Playlist, featuring the hottest Friday releases that have everyone buzzing. From car rides to conversations, this is the music that sets the tone for an unforgettable weekend. This Friday is different because it’s Black Friday. As you get ready to go shopping—or even shop The post EBONY Weekend Playlist: New Music From Busta Rhymes, Jon B., Kamaiyah, and More! appeared first on EBONY.
- Issa Rae’s ‘Rap Sh!t’ Captures the Female Hip Hop Moment By Spotlighting Black Women’s Dreamsby Ronda Racha Penrice on November 24, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Issa Rae is the master of capitalizing on a cultural shift. And Rap Sh!t, now in its second season, is further proof of that. But back in June, at the ABFF (American Black Film Festival) Community Day in Miami with Rap Sh!t showrunner Syreeta Singleton, even she marveled at the fortuitous coincidence of having a series about female The post Issa Rae’s ‘Rap Sh!t’ Captures the Female Hip Hop Moment By Spotlighting Black Women’s Dreams appeared first on EBONY.
- Seen On The Holly Jolly Scene: Eddie Murphy, Tracee Ellis Ross & More Shine At Star-Studded ’Candy Cane Lane’ Premiere In Fa La La Landby Alex Ford on December 1, 2023 at 5:02 pm
Eddie Murphy, Tracee Ellis Ross, Chlöe Bailey, and more shine at star-studded 'Candy Cane Lane' World Premiere in Los Angeles, California
- So Sweet! Mommy Moment Between Beyoncé & ‘Diva’-Defending Blue Ivy At ‘Renaissance’ Premiere Left Tina Knowles ‘In Tears’by lexdirects on December 1, 2023 at 4:48 pm
When Beyoncé went into mom mode with Blue Ivy on the "Renaissance" film London red carpet, the moment left Tina Knowles "in tears."
- Bronny James Fully Cleared For USC Basketball Return, LeBron James Reveals He Will Skip Lakers Game To Attendby Noah Williams on December 1, 2023 at 4:11 pm
The James family revealed Bronny has been cleared to return to USC Basketball, LeBron says he won't miss Jr.'s debut.
- Rihanna Would Reportedly ‘Love To Have’ A Baby Girl With A$AP Rockyby Rebecah Jacobs on December 1, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Even though Rihanna and A$AP Rocky just recently welcomed a new addition to their family, the Fenty Founder is reportedly already thinking about making their family even bigger.
- ‘Love After Lockup’ Exclusive: Aris Is Excited To Go House Hunting Until She Learns Where Cameron Wants Them To Live!by Janeé Bolden on December 1, 2023 at 1:04 pm
On 'Love After Lockup,' Cameron and his pregnant wife Aris go house hunting, but she thinks he's lost his mind when she sees his plan.
- Pure Preciousness: Coily Cuties Celebrate Afro Unicorn’s Magical Tresses Collection At The Black Hair Experience [Exclusive]by Danielle Canada on December 1, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Pure preciousness was in abundance when a Black female entrepreneur celebrated the haircare expansion of her positivity-spreading brand. April Showers recently brought her Afro Unicorn movement to Atlanta to mark the release of her Afro Unicorn Magical Tresses line. Showers who is the first Black woman to own a licensed character sold by a major
- Buffalo Bills Baller Von Miller Turns Himself In After Warrant Issued For Felony Domestic Violence Against Pregnant Womanby Jason "Jah" Lee on December 1, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Von Miller arrested for domestic violence against pregnant woman
- #BOSSIPBeTrippin: Our Fall Time Frolic Through Charleston, South Carolina In The All-New 2024 Hyundai Konaby Alex Ford on December 1, 2023 at 12:50 am
BOSSIP's fall time frolic through the gorgeous city of Charleston, South Carolina in all-new 2024 Hyundai Kona
- ‘Insecure’ Star DomiNque Perry Accuses Former Co-Star Sarunas J. Jackson Of Abuseby Shannon Dawson on November 30, 2023 at 10:24 pm
The complaint was filed two weeks after DomiNque Perry alluded to being a victim of abuse on social media.
- Coco Jones Reveals Her Whereabouts When She Learned About Her 5 Grammy Noms, ‘I Was Screaming Internally!’ [Exclusive]by Char Masona on November 30, 2023 at 9:51 pm
Bossip caught up with Coco Jones at Teen VOGUE Summit and discussed her never giving up and being a five time Grammy-nominee.
- Antonia Hylton, NBC News correspondent, treated for rare cancerby TheGrio Staff on December 1, 2023 at 5:08 pm
Hylton, a 30-year-old Peabody and Emmy Award winner, said she wrote off early symptoms before a test showed cancer. The post Antonia Hylton, NBC News correspondent, treated for rare cancer appeared first on TheGrio.
- The Rev. Charles Gilchrist Adams, known as champion for Detroit, dies at 86by Associated Press on December 1, 2023 at 5:05 pm
DETROIT (AP) — Influential longtime Detroit pastor the Rev. Charles Gilchrist Adams has died following an illness. He was 86. The post The Rev. Charles Gilchrist Adams, known as champion for Detroit, dies at 86 appeared first on TheGrio.
- Black student Brey’anna Brown, victim of racial slurs and broken nose at hands of white male, speaks outby TheGrio Staff on December 1, 2023 at 4:45 pm
The 15-year-old said she didn't expect a fight at her Kansas City high school but decided to stand up for herself. She's scared to return. The post Black student Brey’anna Brown, victim of racial slurs and broken nose at hands of white male, speaks out appeared first on TheGrio.
- Following George Floyd’s murder, more believe death penalty applied unfairlyby Associated Press on December 1, 2023 at 4:35 pm
Whether the public’s waning support for the death penalty will result in the abolition of capital punishment still remains uncertain. The post Following George Floyd’s murder, more believe death penalty applied unfairly appeared first on TheGrio.
- Lawsuit filed by Georgia descendants of enslaved people to protect their land faces another challengeby Associated Press on November 30, 2023 at 10:19 pm
County commissioners in Georgia are asking a judge to throw out a lawsuit by Black residents descended from slaves who fear new zoning... The post Lawsuit filed by Georgia descendants of enslaved people to protect their land faces another challenge appeared first on TheGrio.
- Somali maritime police intensify patrols as fears grow of resurgence of piracy in the Gulf of Adenby Associated Press on November 30, 2023 at 6:25 pm
Somalia’s maritime police force intensified patrols in the Gulf of Aden following a failed pirate hijacking of a ship earlier this week. The post Somali maritime police intensify patrols as fears grow of resurgence of piracy in the Gulf of Aden appeared first on TheGrio.
- D’Monterrio Gibson, who says white men shot at him, files $5 million lawsuitby TheGrio Staff on November 30, 2023 at 5:38 pm
A former Black delivery driver in Mississippi has filed a second civil lawsuit after two white men allegedly shot at him on his route last year. The post D’Monterrio Gibson, who says white men shot at him, files $5 million lawsuit appeared first on TheGrio.
- Proposed Georgia House map would create five new districts with majority Black votersby TheGrio Staff on November 30, 2023 at 5:14 pm
A proposed Georgia Senate redistricting map would create two new Black majority districts following a judge's order. The post Proposed Georgia House map would create five new districts with majority Black voters appeared first on TheGrio.
- Agency under fire for Ronald Green’s death gets new leaderby Associated Press on November 30, 2023 at 4:57 pm
The Louisiana State Police, under fire in the death of Ronald Green, an unarmed Black man, will get a new leader The post Agency under fire for Ronald Green’s death gets new leader appeared first on TheGrio.
- Zion Carr, 11-yo Black child who saw his aunt shot and killed by white cop, awarded $3.5 millionby Associated Press on November 30, 2023 at 4:43 pm
Zion Carr, who witnessed his aunt being fatally shot through a window of her home by a cop, will receive a $3.5 million settlement. The post Zion Carr, 11-yo Black child who saw his aunt shot and killed by white cop, awarded $3.5 million appeared first on TheGrio.
- Bridal Bliss: With Ceremonies At City Hall And A Mosque, Aiesha And Rapper Stalley's Wedding Was An 'All-Day Celebration'by Victoria Uwumarogie on November 30, 2023 at 9:54 pm
Those two events, along with a toast with friends on New York's Lower East Side, required three stunning outfit changes for the bride.
- Students At Kansas High School Outraged Over The Suspension Of Black Girl Called Racial Slurs And Attacked By White Studentby Melissa Noel on November 30, 2023 at 8:00 pm
About 100 students walked out of class Monday in protest of the five-day suspension the Black student received, accusing the school of punishing the victim for defending herself against the assault.
- The Russell Innovation Center Receives $100k From Bank Of America To Bolster Black Businesses by Kimberly Wilson on November 30, 2023 at 6:36 pm
The grant will aim to support the growth and viability of Black-owned businesses.
- Here's How To Avoid The Financial Trappings Of This Holiday Shopping Seasonby Kimberly Wilson on November 30, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Michael Hershfield, founder & CEO of Accrue Savings, shares ways to stay financially fit.
- Jennifer Hudson, Chance the Rapper and Quincy Jones Are Pooling Funds To Reopen Chicago’s Legendary Ramova Theatreby Kimberly Wilson on November 30, 2023 at 2:10 pm
Three musical icons are teaming up to resurrect a historic cultural institution in their hometown.
- 'Black Girls Code' Launches A Beat-Building Program With Ciara To Empower Young Coders Through Musicby Kimberly Wilson on November 30, 2023 at 2:08 pm
The singer and entrepreneur joined forces with tech non-profit Black Girls Code to encourage girls 13-18 to code their own song for the chance to meet her via a video call among other prizes.
- Imprisonment Rate of Black Men Down By Nearly 50% Since 2000, But Pushback Threatens Continued Progressby Malaika Jabali on November 30, 2023 at 12:46 pm
New report from The Sentencing Project looks into policing inequities in the U.S., with an emphasis on how Black Americans are disproportionately impacted.
- California Middle School Student’s Suspension Over “Blackface” At Football Game May Head To Courtby Malaika Jabali on November 30, 2023 at 12:45 pm
Was it blackface or not? Free speech group has appealed on the student’s behalf in an attempt to keep this transgression off of his permanent record.
- Could There Be A Global Reparations Fund For Transatlantic Slavery? These Leaders Are Pushing For Itby Malaika Jabali on November 29, 2023 at 3:03 pm
We “must confront and can no longer ignore,” the issue of reparations for slavery, said Ghana’s president Nana Addo Akufo-Addo at a November reparations conference hosted by the African nation.
- The Largest HBCU In Mississippi Has A New President. Meet Jackson State University’s Dr. Marcus L. Thompsonby Malaika Jabali on November 29, 2023 at 2:22 pm
The Jackson State University alum is now at the helm of his alma mater.
- Sickamore, The Music Exec Behind The Rise Of Travis Scott, Don Toliver And More, Is Helping The Next Generation Of NYC Artistsby JaJuan Malachi on December 1, 2023 at 5:32 pm
Over the last couple of decades, very few figures in the modern music industry have had as tremendous of an impact on the landscape of hip-hop music as Randall “Sickamore” Medford has.
- HBCUs Southern University And Grambling State Got $50K For Endowment Funds At 50th Annual Bayou Classicby Shanique Yates on December 1, 2023 at 5:10 pm
As a hub of culture and celebration, it’s only right that New Orleans became the prime location for the Bayou Classic 50 years ago.
- The Best Anime Streaming Sitesby Jamil David on December 1, 2023 at 4:50 pm
With tons of anime available, many more anime coming out soon, and several different places to watch them, it can be a bit overwhelming for newer fans who are just getting into Japanese animation. There are a few streamers with fantastic anime offerings that some TV watchers might already be visiting. Here is a list… Continue reading The Best Anime Streaming Sites
- Beyoncé Drops New Single, ‘My House’ As ‘Renaissance: A Film By Beyoncé’ Drops In Theatersby Kui Mwai on December 1, 2023 at 4:17 pm
Summer 2023 belonged to Beyoncé. As Blavity previously reported, the Grammy Award winner’s Renaissance World Tour was a phenomenon that shattered live performance records. Most would expect Queen Bey to take a much-deserved break, but she did the opposite. The Houston native dropped a new single, “My House,” alongside her new documentary, Renaissance: A Film by Beyoncé. According… Continue reading Beyoncé Drops New Single, ‘My House’ As ‘Renaissance: A Film By Beyoncé’ Drops In Theaters
- Ts Madison And Shekinah Jo Get Into Beauty Standards, Hygiene And More In New ‘Asking For A Friend’ Episodeby Monique Jones on December 1, 2023 at 3:16 pm
Shekinah Jo lays into women who don’t have proper hygiene on this week’s episode of Blavity’s Asking for a Friend. During a lively discussion between Shekinah and host Ts Madison about cleanliness, Shekinah turns the tables on the discussion from men to women. She tells women to see about themselves and their hygiene because some… Continue reading Ts Madison And Shekinah Jo Get Into Beauty Standards, Hygiene And More In New ‘Asking For A Friend’ Episode
- 12-Year-Old Black CEO Of Tre’s Squeeze Lemonade Announces New Inspirational Bookby Danteé Ramos on December 1, 2023 at 12:07 am
At nine years old, Fresh-squeezed lemonade was made by Tre Glasper in Manhattan and has become a fan-favorite brand in Kansas City. This results from Tre’s Squeeze’s innovative partnership with one of the Midwest’s leading supermarket chains. “I asked my mom if I could make a lemonade stand,” Tre said. “She said yes, so we just went… Continue reading 12-Year-Old Black CEO Of Tre’s Squeeze Lemonade Announces New Inspirational Book
- The Inaugural LGBTQ+ Business Week Launches: ‘There Is A Growing Movement To Bolster The Queer Economy’by Martie Bowser on November 30, 2023 at 10:49 pm
The National LGBT Chamber of Commerce reports that the 1.4 million LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs in the U.S. generate over $1.7 trillion annually for the economy. However, queer-owned businesses have faced harassment over the years. Their storefronts have been vandalized, venues have been threatened, and the owners themselves have even been attacked. To provide much-needed support, the… Continue reading The Inaugural LGBTQ+ Business Week Launches: ‘There Is A Growing Movement To Bolster The Queer Economy’
- 2 Black-Owned Businesses, A Real Estate Investment Group And Construction Enterprise, Come Together To Create Wellness Hub For Illinois Communityby Aria Bell on November 30, 2023 at 10:46 pm
The Aux, an inclusive commercial real estate investment group, has hired Ujamaa Construction, Chicago‘s largest Black-owned construction enterprise.
- LSU’s Angel Reese To Play With Tigers Against Virginia Tech Following 4-Game Absenceby Danteé Ramos on November 30, 2023 at 10:31 pm
In Thursday’s matchup against No. 9 Virginia Tech, LSU head coach Kim Mulkey has confirmed Angel Reese will play. Mulkey announced Reese’s return to the top 10 matchup on Wednesday but didn’t reveal if she would start or be benched. Around the same time as Mulkey’s comments, Reese shared a picture from LSU’s basketball arena on her Instagram… Continue reading LSU’s Angel Reese To Play With Tigers Against Virginia Tech Following 4-Game Absence
- Nia Sioux Of ‘Dance Moms’ Just Crossed Alpha Kappa Alpha: ‘The Yard Just Got A Whole Lot Prettier’by Danteé Ramos on November 30, 2023 at 10:11 pm
Nia Sioux, former star of Lifetime’s Dance Moms, has become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. As a member of this prestigious sorority herself, Holly Hatcher-Frazier inspired the UCLA senior. In celebration, Sioux posted a slide of images featuring her in a pink and green outfit and her mom posing — all smiling.
Immutably Black History Project – coming soon
Join the people making Black History immutable and therefore forever remembered.